I am soooo excited to share my Roasted Cinnamon White Sweet Potato & Onion recipe with you!
It’s one of my favorite paleo side dishes because not only is it mouth-wateringly delicious, but it’s so easy to make!
This simple recipe takes just 5 minutes of active work, it makes 4 servings, and it’s a perfect complement to dinner, lunch, or breakfast! I’ve even enjoyed these sweet potatoes and onions as a snack on more than one occasion.
Not only that, but I’ve made these roasted cinnamon white sweet potatoes and onions for many a dinner guest, and it’s a crowd-pleaser every single time! I’ve been asked for this recipe so many times that I’ve lost count 😉
Cinnamon might not be the first spice you think of for seasoning vegetables, but it compliments the sweetness of the potatoes and onion so nicely. It’s just a small amount of cinnamon – 1/4 tsp or a couple shakes of your cinnamon container – so it adds just a hint of spice. As a result, this paleo side dish pairs really well with salmon, beef, or eggs and bacon (and much more)!
And in true Triple Peak style, this recipe is super easy to make! I’m not kidding when I say it takes just 5 minutes of prep. Simply chop the veggies, add the seasoning, toss to combine, and then leave the oven to do the rest.
I like to meal prep a big batch of roasted cinnamon white sweet potatoes and onion to eat throughout the week. I store them in a glass Tupperware container in the refrigerator and when I’m ready to serve, I just heat some up in my air fryer and they come out just as crispy as when they were roasted (if you don’t know what an air fryer is, we need to talk 😉 ). If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also reheat them in the oven, on the stovetop, or in the microwave.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST ROASTED CINNAMON WHITE SWEET POTATOES & ONIONS
USE WHITE SWEET POTATOES: This is a key part of this recipe! White sweet potatoes (also known as Hannah sweet potatoes) have a milder flavor profile than orange sweet potatoes. In fact, I prefer them over the more common orange sweet potatoes. They’re also drier so not only do they stay together better when roasted, but they also get crispier!
CUT YOUR VEGGIES UNIFORMLY: It’s not fun to wind up with half burnt veggies and half undercooked veggies, but that’s what could happen if you cut your sweet potatoes into wildly different sizes. So do your best to make your sweet potatoes cubes 1/2 to 3/4″ and your onion slices 1/4″ wide and everything will cook evenly!
MAKE THEM CRISPIER: The 40 minute cook time in this recipe will result in crispy sweet potatoes and onions, but if you prefer them even crispier, simply roast the vegetables longer, checking every 5 minutes until your desired level of crispiness is achieved.
Roasted Cinnamon White Sweet Potato & Onion (Paleo, Whole30, Vegan)
- Non-Stick Sheet Pan
- Chef's Knife
- Cutting Board
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Cut the potatoes into roughly 1/2"-3/4" cubes and slice the onion into 1/4" wide slices. Then place the chopped vegetables onto the sheet pan.
- Pour the olive oil, salt, and cinnamon on top of the vegetables. Using your spatula, toss the vegetables until evenly coated.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and cook for 40 minutes, tossing the vegetables halfway through so they cook evenly.
- After 40 minutes, remove the vegetables from the oven. The potatoes and onion should be brown and crispy on the outside. (If they're not, simply put them back in the oven and check every 5 minutes until crispiness is achieved)
- Serve as a side dish or enjoy these as a snack. They can be refrigerated for up to 5 days, but I doubt they'll last that long!
REHEATING INSTRUCTIONSFor best reheating results, I highly recommend using an air fryer! Simply put the leftovers in an airfryer at 400º for 3-5 minutes and they’ll be hot and even crispier than when they first came out of the oven! If you don’t have an airfryer, but still want your leftover potatoes and onions to be crispy, reheat them in a sauté pan on the stovetop for 6-8 minutes.
Looking for more fast, healthy recipes? Try these!
- 10 Minute Dinner: Ground Beef & Sun-Dried Tomato Zoodles (Paleo)
- On-the-go Breakfast: Protein Chia Seed Pudding (Paleo)
- Simple Salmon & Veggie Sheet Pan Dinner (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
- 17 Fast Healthy Breakfast Recipes (20 Minutes of Prep or Less!)
- Pumpkin Chai Protein Smoothie (Paleo)
- 5 Minute Super Power Paleo Salad
This post contains affiliate links. I make a small percentage from the products I link to and I will only ever share products that I truly believe in and use in my own kitchen. I would greatly appreciate your support by using my links if you plan on purchasing any of these products!